Friday, December 30, 2005

See Ya 2005

It's the last day of 2005 today and I think this warrants an entry.

For Christmas my bro Matt gave Chris and I tickets to the Bedouin Soundclash show at the Commodore. To be honest I hadn't heard of them before but it turned out to be an awesome show, if only for their 'when the night feels my song' song. The opener, Mike Relm, Dj'ed up a fury. I know almost nothing about the world of DJs but this guy blew my mind. He did an amazing job of mixing, plus he sliced in silent dvd clips on a big screen projection which he'd rewind/fastforward to match the record mixing. At one or two points he matched the mouth movements of the projected characters to the sound of the record, which was insane. It's hard to properly describe it but the guy's unbelievably talented and if you haven't heard of him before I definitely recommend checking out his stuff. I say he beats the main act.

The three of us went to another show (this time the Town Pants) a couple of nights ago at at the Buffalo Club. The Town Pants were great, but the openers, Run GMC, were crazy. Why did they call themselves RunGMC? don't ask me. They are nothing like Run DMC. In fact they're a country band and one of the members only job is to wear thimbles and play the washboard. And as far as I could tell, the sound manager's job was to stand on stage, or more accurately wobble on stage, with his shirt unbuttoned to expose his well-established beer gut, bop along to the beat as best as he could, and periodically meddle with the buttons on the soundboard. And he gets PAID to do that! Seemed really nice, though the poor guy almost fell off the stage when I went up to give him five.

ok I'm bored. See ya around.

1 Comments:

At 6:21 a.m., Blogger PhotoDiarist said...

and to think i missed run gmc because i had to bus home for my id... gawwwsh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home