Saturday, May 20, 2006

Music and Nausea

Last night a buddy and I went to see On Holiday at Buffalo Club. They had an awesome energy and played a sweet show, short as it was. Bored after the live show ended, we walked over to the Media Club not knowing the line-up. Turned out a band called Sweetheart was playing, which we soon learned was unfortunate. They weren't exactly bad, but they weren't worth $10.

The vocals were largely inaudible, and when they could be heard, the songs revealed themselves as energetic but bland and indistinct. The base player once or twice jumped off stage with his cordless and mingled among the (not very enthusiastic) crowd as rockers are expected to do, which annoyed me. It's cool if said rocker is, you know, good, but here it felt as if the guy was trying to get the crowd to pretend they were sharing some vibrant connection with him, which they weren't.

I was also annoyed that the lead guitarist and the basist consistently stood, hips-tilted, with their mouths thoughtlessly gaping open. I can't decide if this reminded me more of Elvis (don't get me started on my beef with Elvis) or Ken barbie getting road head in his pretty plastic convertible. Either way they gave me the shudders.

I fled to the bathroom when the lead singer, his first plea failing, started practically begging that people "please stand up, come on, please." We left shortly thereafter.

Sometimes you can't beat showing up at random gigs; last night was not one of those times. Luckily On Holiday counteracted my Sweetheart-induced nausea enough for me to stomach a 7-11 burrito and a long walk home.

3 Comments:

At 8:45 p.m., Blogger PhotoDiarist said...

Cool - you need to write stuff like this more often.

 
At 2:15 p.m., Blogger Joy said...

Ooh sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy Sweetheart. If I'm thinking of the right band, I could've sworn they had SOME pretty decent songs. I've never seen them live, but I'm not surprised that their live-band skills aren't up to par. At least you enjoyed On Holiday. Yay!

Mmmm... burritos. *drool*

 
At 7:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

A critic in the making. If only you, chris, matt, and dan weren't better than me at everything..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home